Defending champion Sergio Garcia’ s 13 on No . 15— courtesy of hitting five balls into the water — was just one of the key statistics from Thursday at the Masters. As well as the Spaniard setting the record intended for high score on the 15th gap and tying the record pertaining to highest score on any opening (joining Tom Weiskopf’ s thirteen on No . 12 and Tommy Nakajima’ s 13 on the par-5 13th), there were several other numbers of notice during round one. Here are 5 more numbers nuggets to chew up on.
• By snaring the 18-hole direct, Jordan Spieth has now held or even shared the Masters lead within nine out of his last fifteen rounds at Augusta National. That will puts Spieth tied for 3rd place all time for the most variety of rounds holding or sharing the very best spot after 18, 36 or even 54 holes. Ahead of Spieth are usually Arnold Palmer (14 times) plus Jack Nicklaus (13 times), whilst Spieth joins Gary Player plus Raymond Floyd.
• Spieth’ t 66 puts his Masters rating average for 17 rounds with 70. 11. Coming into this year’ s Masters the lowest scoring typical for any player with 25 or even more rounds was Jason Day, in 71. 56. In other words, Spieth is definitely on pace to break that tag by a full stroke if this individual continues his strong play more than his next eight rounds with Augusta National.
• Getting off to a fast begin is not essential to winning the Experts, however being in reasonable position following the first round is near important. In 19 of the last twenty one Masters the eventual winner had been within five shots of the direct after the first 18. If type holds that means anyone who shot even worse than one-under 71 is improbable to win, a group that includes Tommy Fleetwood, Justin Rose, Dustin Manley, Tiger Woods, Bubba Watson, Rickie Fowler, Paul Casey, Justin Thomas, Jon Rahm, Jason Day and Adam Scott.
• Until Spieth’ s late operate it appeared Tony Finau would certainly join a list of first-year players who also held or shared the Experts lead for at least one of the models. That would have put Finau in certain pretty heady company. Among those whom held the lead at some point throughout their inaugural Masters were Ralph Guldahl (1937); Greg Norman (1981) plus Jordan Spieth in 2014. General 23 first-year players have done together with the most recent prior to him being Jones Pieters last year.
• The third-shortest hole within the course gave up the fewest birdies Thursday. The downhill, 180-yard par-3 sixth allowed just two birdies, thanks to a fiendish back-left opening location that had many gamers coming up short on their tee pictures to leave an uphill putt. Those long and right got trouble keeping the ball around the green (2016 champion Danny Willett putted off the back of the green) and some used wedge from the placing surface, including Francesco Molinari, which got down in two in that way. The two birdies were carded simply by Ryan Moore and Chez Reavie. Overall the sixth hole performed to a stroke average of 3 or more. 23, making it the seventh-most hard hole on the course Thursday.